What is yoga therapy?
“Yoga therapy is the process of empowering individuals to progress toward improved health and well-being through the application of the teachings and practices of yoga.”
Yoga therapy is a mind-body approach that empowers individuals to take charge of their own health and well-being. It uses yoga practices – such as movement, breathing, relaxation, meditation – to address physical, mental and emotional imbalances.
Its main goals are:
- to eliminate, reduce or manage physical and mental pain or discomfort
- to help individuals move towards improved quality of life, health and well-being
- to empower people to be their own best teacher and healer
- to share yoga practices in ways that support and inspire others.
Yoga therapy can be beneficial for a wide range of mental and physical health issues such as:
* anxiety * stress * depression * joint pain * back pain * IBS * fibromyalgia * cancer * COPD * arthritis * asthma * chronic fatigue * pregnancy * menopause * fertility * cardiovascular issues * digestive issues * respiratory issues *
Yoga therapy can be an ideal introduction to yoga for a beginner, and it can also deepen the knowledge of a more experienced yoga practitioner. No previous experience or knowledge of yoga is necessary.
What is the difference between a private/one-to-one yoga class and a yoga therapy session?
In a yoga class, the focus is mostly on yoga methods, techniques and practices. In a yoga therapy session, the focus is mainly on the client's needs – this could be getting relief from a specific health condition or addressing certain symptoms. The yoga therapist looks for ways to help their clients reduce or manage their symptoms, improve their function, and help them with their attitude in relation to their health conditions.
As your yoga therapist, I will hold a safe, supportive, empathic and non-judgemental space where we can collaborate to meet your goals. We will work at a pace and level that is suitable and comfortable for you. I will draw upon yoga practices to help you meet your needs towards healing and overall well-being. Together, we will come up with a personalized plan to suit your requirements and interests, which you can continue to practise at home.
If you would like to find out more and/or receive yoga therapy, please contact me.